Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Predictions: Sony Open

This week kicks off the full-field PGA Tour season, with the Sony Open in lovely, warm Hawaii (yes, I’m still jealous as I look outside at snow still on the ground and a near-record year so far for sub-freezing temperatures).

Most of the fantasy-golf prognosticators this week are picking some combination of Zach Johnson, David Toms, Rory Sabbatini, and Steve Stricker. It’s hard to argue against any of them. Johnson is the defending champion. Toms was runner-up at this tournament last year. Sabbatini was runner-up in 2008, and is coming off a blazing-hot Sunday at Kapalua last week. Stricker finished in the top 5 in 2007 and 2008, and is almost always a solid bet.

This week, I’ve got two picks that are a bit off the radar. I’m picking Kevin Na to win. Yes, I said at the beginning of the year that Na would win on the PGA Tour in 2010, and it could very well come this week. Na has finished in the top 5 in the Sony each of the last two years, and should come into 2010 full of confidence after a very strong 2009 season.

My second pick is K.J. Choi. Choi is the 2008 Sony champion, and also finished 4th in 2007. His 2009 season was uncharacteristically weak, but I doubt that he’ll have two lackluster seasons in a row.

My Yahoo Fantasy Golf team for this week is:
“Front 4": Steve Stricker, Rory Sabbatini, David Toms, Matt Kuchar
“Bench team”: Zach Johnson, Kevin Na, K.J. Choi, Parker McLachlin

Last week’s predictions didn’t go as well as I’d hoped, but there’s a long season ahead:
Zach Johnson: 18th
Stephen Ames: 20th
Steve Stricker: 10th

My Yahoo Fantasy Golf team finished with 209 points, placing me in the 72nd percentile, primarily thanks to the strength of Matt Kuchar’s 3rd-place performance, and bringing eventual winner Geoff Ogilvy off the bench for the final two rounds.

Best of luck to all in Oahu!

No comments:

Post a Comment