Sunday, April 11, 2010

Masters Musings

Congratulations to Phil Mickelson, the 2010 Masters champion. To me, this was one of the best Masters tournaments in a long time: the leaderboard was packed with big names and big storylines, there were eagles and birdies galore, and the outcome was unknown until the final hole. Some of my thoughts from the week:

* The first day was a trip down memory lane, with Fred Couples and Tom Watson on top of the leaderboard. These were the players I grew up watching, and to see them still contending in a major–well, let’s just say it’s been a few years–later was something that doesn’t happen in many other sports. Freddie remained in contention until well into Sunday, proving that while he’s dominating the Champions Tour right now, he’s still got the game to play with the “young guys” sometimes, too.

* Rory McIlroy’s missed cut didn’t surprise me very much; I’d talked to Rory’s parents at Doral, and they had mentioned then that he was a bit tired. It looks like the decision to play both the PGA and European tours this year might not have been the greatest idea. Jim Furyk’s missed cut, largely set up by a Thursday 80, did surprise me. We’ll see if that was a momentary aberration, or if there are signs that his game isn’t all the way back yet.

* Matteo Manassero is the real deal. The 16-year-old amateur not only made the cut, he finished in 36th place, ahead of past champions Zach Johnson and Mike Weir, among others. He’ll turn pro soon, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he wins an event before the end of the year.

* Ricky Barnes, after falling off the map following his amateur days, is starting to “show up” in majors. If he can play that way in regular Tour events as well (and show some consistency), he’ll start living up to those predictions of greatness from 2003.

* Tiger’s 4th-place finish was better than I was expecting (I had expected him to finish in the 11-25 range). I didn’t really see much of a difference in mannerisms between the “new Tiger” and the “old Tiger”, nor much of a difference in play. Remember, he hasn’t won at Augusta in five years.

* Lee Westwood has never been the world’s greatest putter. The flat stick may have cost him yet another major on Sunday.

* Phil Mickelson was my pre-season pick for the Masters, though I had my doubts after the somewhat shaky start to his 2010 season. He definitely earned the title, especially over the last two rounds. It would have been hard not to cheer for Phil after all of the trials his family has been through with Amy’s and his mother’s cancer battles. Well done, Mr. Mickelson; you gave us a great story with a happy ending this Sunday evening.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with just about everything you said. One of the better majors I can remember, probably the best since Torrey Pines. Last years Masters playoff almost felt like a let down.

    Phil was all over the course, but that man gets out of trouble like no one else. I would say that Westwoods usually reliable driver was more his problem today.

    Furyk is fine, he did win 2 weeks ago. It was an emotional win after a long drought, probably wasn't totally there for this on, at least Thur.

    Tiger, his interview at the end told me all I need to know. Same Tiger. He is angry because he expected to win after playing 3/4 of a season since the 2008 US Open and not playing in 5 months. I thought it was "fun again". Guess that only applies if you win and get to give the finger to everyone who criticized you. I would have expected he would be pleased to contend. To feel the the adrenaline and nerves again on Sunday at a major is big step if he is too come back. Still expecting to win every tournament makes me think he is the same huge narcissist he has always been. Probably not really interested in seeking help, just pissed he got caught and now has to put up with this crap.

    I loved this week. Nothing beats the Masters, and this year, it didn't disappoint in any way. Whew! Exhausting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post, I agree wholeheartedly -- it was a thrilling Masters.

    ReplyDelete