Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Predictions: Masters

Predictions: Masters

Congratulations to Anthony Kim, who won last week’s Shell Houston Open.

Now on to Augusta, for the Masters. The big question for predictions is: To pick Tiger, or not to pick Tiger? I’m holding off for this week, until I see more of the state of his game.

My “spotlight players” for the week:

* Hunter Mahan. He finished in the top 10 at Augusta last year. The missed cut last week at Houston is a slight concern, but he’s been playing reasonably well this year, including a win in Phoenix.

* Matteo Manassero. The Italian amateur is scheduled to turn pro this spring, at the tender age of 16. He seems to be the real deal.

My Yahoo Fantasy Golf team for this week:
“Front 4": Steve Stricker, Hunter Mahan, Lee Westwood, Matt Kuchar
“Bench team”: Phil Mickelson, Brian Gay, Oliver Wilson, Mike Weir

Last week wasn’t a great one for picks. One of my “spotlight players”, Paul Casey, was a late withdrawal with a shoulder injury, and the other, Fred Couples, came in 55th. My Yahoo Fantasy Golf standings: 1929 points, 73th percentile.

Best of luck to all!

2 comments:

  1. Phil better start draining some putts or he doesn't stand a chance! Love the Westie and Kuchar picks. I said over a month ago that Kuchar was my sleeper pick. I hope playing with Tiger the 1st two days doesn't spook him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Phil was my pre-season pick, but he'll be a bench warmer until/unless he gets the flat stick working. I think Kuchar will stand up better than a lot of folks do; he's been out there a while, he was on the big stage as an amateur in '98 (playing with Tiger then, too, if I remember correctly), and he's got a good temperament about him. He should be fine, better than a lot of guys would be! I'd have Westwood to win in a heartbeat, but it's not his best course; should still do really well.

    ReplyDelete