Sunday, May 9, 2010

Players Championship: Wrap-up

As expected, Friday’s birthday celebrations delayed any reporting on the second round; and Saturday’s brutal heat and humidity, combined with a late tee time, delayed reporting on the second round. So here are some tidbits from the final three rounds of the Players Championship:

* It’s not every day that you see someone shoot a 65. It’s also not every day that you seem someone shoot an 80. What are the odds that the two happen in the same group? That happened Friday: Graeme McDowell shot 65, playing partner Matthew Goggin shot 80. Goggin’s disastrous round was largely set in motion when he took a 9 on the par-4 4th hole: 2nd shot over the green, 3rd back over the green and into the water, 5th a flop shot that didn’t find land, and two putts. Ouch.

* Speaking of #4... #17 at Sawgrass gets a lot of publicity, but I think #4 is at least as cruel, perhaps more so this year (as 17 seems to be playing relatively easy this year). Players in groups that I’ve followed each of the first three days have found the water. Dry land for both players on Sunday.

* Speaking of water, it pays to know the caddies. During Saturday’s and Sunday’s rounds, one of the caddies in the group that I followed kept me well-supplied with ice-cold (and free) water from the tee-box coolers. Of course, this also led me to be the recipient of some very strange looks from my fellow spectators, who were wondering just who this girl is who’s getting free water from the caddie and isn’t wearing any kind of wife/girlfriend/family/guest credentials. I’m always very nice to the caddies of the players that I follow on a regular basis, greeting them by name each day and asking how they’re doing. I’ve seen plenty of spectators talking to players, but have never seen another one talking to a caddie.

* There hasn’t been much of a slow-play issue this week. There have been a few short waits on the tee box on par-3's, but no hitting-in issues from groups behind, and no lengthy waits for groups ahead.

* Those last three holes (16-18) are great watching if you’re a seated spectator. They are not fun to navigate if you’re trying to follow a group, especially late in the day, when most of the spectators are “overserved”.

* I didn’t see the guy get tased on Friday. I’ve seen some people that I would like to see meet the same fate, however.

* After walking 18 with a group on Sunday, I watched the last two hours of the tournament at a local restaurant/bar with some friends–four from Ireland, one from England, and myself the lone American (though after a week in largely Irish company, I have quite an accent myself now).We were cheering for Westwood and pretty well-shocked at his back-nine implosion.

* We were even more shocked at Tim Clark’s 67. Sunday wasn’t a day for low scores, by and large. All the more kudos to Tim.


* Henrik Stenson’s jacket–what can be said about that?

* I got the news about Tiger’s withdrawal while walking up #5 fairway. Let’s just say that not all the players were heartbroken about it.

* Keep an eye on Robert Allenby. I think his game is going to take a dramatic turn in the second half of the season, though in which direction I don’t know.

* And once again, congratulations to 2010 Players Champion Tim Clark. What a way to make that first win a big one! Let’s see what the rest of the year holds for him.

I’ll next be “live” on the course for the final two rounds of the St. Jude Classic in Memphis in June. Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Nice job -- dunno why you and the Euros were surprised by Westwood gagging it up though, he always chokes at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'd looked a lot more solid lately. Plus, we were undeniably partisan!

    ReplyDelete