Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Predictions: Colonial

First of all, congratulations to last week’s winners: Jason Day at the Byron Nelson, Simon Khan at the BMW PGA, Sun Young Yoo at the Sybase, and John Riegger at the Rex Hospital Classic. And congratulations as well to 16-year-old Jordan Spieth, for his top-20 finish at the Byron Nelson; I was impressed by his play, and even more by his maturity.

Now the PGA Tour moves just a few miles down the road, to Fort Worth for the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. Some players I’ll be watching this week are:

* Jason Day. He played well here last year. I’ll be interested to see if he goes into this week with positive momentum from last week’s win, or if there’s a bit of a “victory hangover”.

* Kevin Na. Also a good history here at Colonial. I was expecting more out of Na this year than he’s showed so far (I did predict he’d get a win this year); I’ll be interested to see if his solid play on this course continues, or if it’s another sign of an “off” year.

* Tim Clark. Another player with a solid history at Colonial. Now that he has that first win under his belt, will subsequent wins be easier or more difficult to come by?

My Yahoo Fantasy Golf team for this week:

“Front 4”: Jason Day, Jim Furyk, Kevin Na, Paul Casey
“Bench team”: Steve Marino, Kevin Sutherland, Rod Pampling, Tim Clark

Now that we’re well into the season, the 10-start maximum in the Yahoo game is starting to come into play with making weekly selections. Phil Mickelson is a solid A-level pick, but I’ve used him a lot already this year, and will save him for bigger events. I consider Casey/Clark to be nearly a toss-up this week, and have more starts remaining for Casey; but Clark’s too intriguing to pass up, and he might end up getting into the starting lineup before the week is over.

After another indifferent week, my Yahoo Fantasy Golf standings are: 2847 points, 78th percentile.

Best of luck to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment