Sunday, March 14, 2010

Doral Diary: Sunday

The final day at Doral was sunny and beautiful. The wind was down from earlier in the week, though it was definitely still a factor. I not only “walked 26", I walked 27 today. I started out with Scott Verplank and Ross McGowan. After nine holes with them, I walked through the next two groups (Zach Johnson/Sergio Garcia and Brian Gay/Jason Dufner) and eventually walked the final four holes with Dustin Johnson and Kevin Na. After a break for lunch, I picked up my “usual suspect” Graeme McDowell and Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano on their second nine and walked to the end. My observations:

* This is by far not the first time that I’ve mentioned it this week, but something MUST be done about slow play. I decided to forego a second nine with Verplank/McGowan largely out of frustration at their pace. There were times when I thought one of them was waiting for his lie to improve, or waiting for the right club to announce itself. Just hit the ball, guys; if it’s a bad lie, take your medicine and move on. As I walked ahead through the subsequent groups, I walked the entire par-5 12th hole without encountering a single player on the tee or on the green, and I wasn’t speed-walking. Kevin Na was pretty “deliberate” as well. Where’s John Paramore when we need him?

* Jason Dufner wins an award that no one wants to win from me: the Dude, There Are Children Present Award. Following a terrible shot on 13, he walked up the fairway letting loose a verbal tirade that featured two “F-bombs” and a few other high-level profanities, all of which were distinctly audible from at least 50 feet away. I understand frustration, but really wish that professionals would remember that there are often children within earshot and try to use a bit more discretion in their choice of words, or at least their volume level.

* It’s always nice to follow a player who’s having a great day, and being there for the second half of McDowell’s 66 was great. There was much cheering and general high energy. Unfortunately, Fernandez-Castano struggled at the same time and was clearly discouraged; it’s probably even tougher to have a bad day while your playing partner is having a good one.

* I was glad to see Ernie Els win the tournament. Ernie had been practicing late into the evenings after his rounds this week, and was at the course earlier in the mornings than most of his late-round counterparts. For those who counted him out, he’s still got a lot of game left.

It’s a sad thing to be leaving sunny south Florida and the golf course behind in the morning, but I’ll be reporting live again from Bay Hill for the final two rounds in two weeks. And, of course, my picks for the Transitions Championship will be up in a few days!

1 comment:

  1. You may wind up in Tiger's wake (at Bay Hill) whether you want to or not!!!

    ReplyDelete