Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Predictions: Transitions Championship

A belated congratulations to Derek Lamely, the winner on Monday in the rain-delayed Puerto Rico Open.

And now it’s on to Palm Harbor, site of the Transitions Championship. Alas, there will be no on-site reporting from this writer this week, as something called a “real job” tends to interfere with my Tour-chasing schedule. But I do have some picks for this week’s tournament.

Top pick, “chalk” edition: Steve Stricker. He’s the best player in the field, and he finished tied for 4th here last year.

Top pick, “sleeper” edition: Charlie Wi. The last time I picked Charlie, he rewarded me with a top-10 finish at the Honda Classic two weeks ago. I’m hoping he’ll do the same this week. He also finished tied for 4th here last year.

My Yahoo Fantasy Golf team:
“Front 4 : Charlie Wi, K.J. Choi, Charles Howell III, Matthew Goggin
“Bench team”: Steve Stricker, Kevin Na, Bo Van Pelt, Brendon de Jonge

Last week was a week of weak performances for most of my fantasy golf picks. Alvaro Quiros was my sole top-10 player, and while my “spotlight pick” of Camilo Villegas finished in a respectable 16th, the rest of my team was middling at best. I’m currently at 1515 points, in the 72nd percentile. Hopefully, this week will turn the momentum back in a positive direction.

Best of luck to all!

1 comment:

  1. You are all over my boy Chuck!!! Love it! I took Wi as well. Striking the ball so well this year, and this course demands it. I remember those fairways looked soooooo narrow, and that wasn't when the PGA had gotten in to toughen it up.

    I like some of the picks. Stricker makes a lot of sense, and it is impossible for faulting someone for picking him, but I get the sense that with a win already under his belt this year, he is working towards making sure he gives his best effort in Augusta, not Innisbrook. I wouldn't all be surprised to see a lesser known guy jump up and take this one, and your picks reflect that, as did some of mine.

    My big bets this week though are on the Sean Foley crew. O'Hair and Justin Rose. Feeling like their games are set up for this course. They are used to the bermuda greens, and ball striking will be key. Innisbrook isn't terribly punishing if you miss the greens by small amounts, but don't expect the wild ones to contend. Between the trees, rough, and water hazards, The Cooperhead has plenty of defense.

    Looking forward to watching this one now that i have played the course. It seemed a lot different from the tee boxes than the couch, but I bet now i will have a better feel for where these guys can attack and where they can't

    ReplyDelete