Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Predictions: WGC-CA Championship

Greetings from lovely Doral, Florida, where the weather is like something out of a south Florida tourist brochure on this Wednesday afternoon. But before I can lounge by the hotel pool (yes, it is a tough life...), here are my picks for this week’s WGC-CA Championship.

Winner: Camilo Villegas. Yes, I’m going with “chalk”, but with a 3rd, an 8th, and a win in his last three starts, and a 5th-place finish at Doral, he seems like a pretty good one. Of course, that and the confidence that seemingly most of the golf world is putting in Camilo this week may prove to put the hex on him...

My Yahoo Fantasy Golf team:
“Front 4": Kenny Perry, Camilo Villegas, Alvaro Quiros, Soren Kjeldsen
“Bench team”: Anthony Kim, Nick Watney, Oliver Wilson, Angel Cabrera

I’ll be watching two of my bench players in action in the first two rounds, as I have plans to follow Kim, Cabrera, and Graeme McDowell for a portion of the first round and likely all of the second. (By the way, if you’re thinking of starting McDowell this week, don’t. I watched him play three rounds here last year, and it doesn’t seem to be the best course for his game. Of course, if the “announcer’s curse” works in reverse, I’ve probably just guaranteed GMac a top-10 finish.)

Last week’s Yahoo results left something to be desired. Despite top-10 finishes from both Charlie Wi and Fredrik Jacobson, I went into the weekend with only 3 of 8 players making the cut. I’m currently in the 73rd percentile, with 1365 points.

Best of luck to all! Now, about that mai tai....

1 comment:

  1. I told you Charlie Wi was gonna come through for you, of course that is because I am big CHarlie Wi guy. He hangs with my crowd.

    Like your picks this week, going with Kim and Watney in my starting lineup this week, and Graeme McDowell too. He is gonna bite you for not throwing him some love :-)

    Janky

    ReplyDelete